If you have recently suffered an illness or injury that makes it impossible for you to work, you are likely eligible for Social Security disability benefits – but how do you apply? The application process can be daunting without the right guidance. Consider hiring a disability attorney to assist with your application. Statistics show that Social Security is more likely to approve an applicant who is represented by legal counsel, plus you’ll avoid much of the stress of navigating the ins and outs of the process.
Who is Eligible for Social Security Disability?
Social Security Disability (SSD) is a program that gives monthly payments to people who have become disabled before retirement age and are not able to work. You are eligible if you cannot work because of a medical condition that is expected to last one year or more, or result in death.
What Do I Need to Apply?
There is a lot of information that Social Security will need to review as part of your application. You should have the following details ready before applying. A disability lawyer will help to organize these details and build the strongest case for your disability claim.
- Birth and citizenship information
- Marriage/divorce documentation
- Names and birth dates of children
- S. military service details
- Employer details for current year and prior two years
- Direct deposit information
- Education and training history
Details Related to Health Condition
- Detailed medical history of the condition including names, addresses, phone numbers and dates of examinations and treatments
- Name of medications, who prescribed them and why
- Names and dates of medical tests and who sent for them
- Date and details about when your condition began affecting your ability to work
Contact Rainwater, Holt & Sexton in you’re located in Northwest Arkansas and would like to discuss your situation with a Fayetteville disability lawyer. You have nothing to lose by consulting a disability attorney, but could have a lot to gain.